Summer is coming up, and so is the time for grills with friends and family. It sounds like a fun time, but when the friendly and pleasant time with our friends and family comes to an end, then comes an unpleasant task: cleaning the portable gas grill to perfection.
Maintaining your grill throughout the summer will help you keep up the performance of the grill. The food will cook better, and the taste will also be superior. And for portable grills, it’s even more important to clean them as we want to have them ready for our next stop. Thus, every portable gas grill owner should know how to easily and effectively clean their grill.
It’s always a good idea to dust off your portable gas grill as you set off to complete your first grill of the season. While you shouldn’t try to clean your portable gas grill to perfection every time, it might be beneficial if you do at least one deep cleaning per season.
There are many ways of cleaning your portable gas grill. To give you an idea or two, we’ll provide you with 3 of the best ideas of how to clean your portable gas grill without too much fuss.
Table of Contents
Why You Should Clean Your Portable Gas Grill Regularly
A clean and rust-free gas grill is a surefire way to have delicious meals every time you use the grill. Regular maintenance will also help you keep your gas grill working for longer, and you’ll be able to enjoy its benefits for longer.
When you use your gas grill regularly and you don’t clean it properly, you’ll notice buildup and grease on your grill. This can not only ruin the taste of your food, but it can also be unsafe to consume. And it will also encourage strange and unpleasant smells from your grill when you are not using it.
Unclean grill can bring you all kinds of problems and unpleasantries. So it’s best to keep it regularly clean and in order to avoid then.
How Often Should You Clean Your Portable Gas Grill?
This mainly depends on how often you intend to use your portable gas grill, and how regularly you use it currently. Regular usage also means regular maintenance. And even if you don’t use it, it might make sense to try and clean your grill every once in a while.
If you use the grill regularly, then cleaning your gas grill once a month is the best way to go. However, if you use your grill almost on a daily basis, then weekly cleaning could also be needed. The more regularly you use it, the more regularly you’ll have to clean the grill. Weber say they recommend that you clean the grill every time you use it.
If you’re intending to use the portable grill every now and then for an occasional grill with family and friends, then you should clean the portable gas grill once or twice per grilling season. Once before you start the grilling season, and once after you think you won’t need a grill for the year again.
3 Ways to Clean Your Portable Gas Grill Easily
Let’s take a look at the 3 best ways to clean the portable gas grill with minimal fuss.
Method# 1: The Simple and Inexpensive Way with Vinegar
Probably the easiest and the most budget-friendly way to clean your gas grill effectively is with some vinegar, lukewarm water, and a cotton cloth. Here’s what you’ll need for this method:
- Spray bottle
- Two cotton cloths
- Lukewarm water.
Here’s the step-by-step guide of cleaning your gas grill with this method.
1. Get some vinegar and add two cups of vinegar and two cups of lukewarm water into a bowl and mix them together.
2. After you mix the two together, add the mixture into a spray bottle. After you do that, gently shake the mixture to make it more effective.
3. Then, spray the mixture of vinegar and water with the spray bottle onto the grill grates. Let the mixture do its magic and let it rest for 10-20 minutes.
4. Then, fill your spray bottle with vinegar only. After that, spray some vinegar onto your cotton cloth and use the cloth to clean the gas bottle grates.
5. Lastly, get a clean and dry cotton cloth and use it to rinse the gas grill completely. By now, you should have a clean grill that’s ready to go.
So that’s all there is to this method. You just need some simple tools and materials to get the job done, and it’s an effective method. If you don’t manage to get the grease off the first time, then it might make sense to try with this method twice or even more.
Method# 2: With a Wire Brush
Many people choose to clean their portable gas grill with a wire brush and with the heating treatment to make the grease less stubborn to clean. For this cleaning method, you’ll need the following:
- A high-quality wire brush for cleaning grills
- Dish detergent or similar
- A cotton cloth
|1||【The Best Deal】OriGlam 3pcs Mini Wire Brush Set, Rust Paint Metal Cleaner, Cleaning Welding...||1,284 Reviews||$5.88||Check Today's Price on Amazon|
|2||Wire Brush Set,Heavy Duty Carbon Steel and Stainless Steel Wire Scratch Brush for Cleaning Rust...||1,043 Reviews||$12.76||Check Today's Price on Amazon|
|3||DEWALT Wire Cleaning Brush, Stainless, 3-Inch x 7-Inch (DW49708)||219 Reviews||$3.93||Check Today's Price on Amazon|
Last update on 2021-01-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
This method is also pretty straightforward. Here’s how to do it.
1. Firstly, you’ll want to heat up the gas grill in order for the grease to become less stubborn. This will enable you to clean the grill much easier later on.
2. Pour some water in a bucket and add some dish detergent. Mix the mixture well and make sure it’s completely merged together.
3. Leave the gas grill on until you feel that the grease is starting to melt. Then, turn off the gas grill. Now you’re ready to start brushing.
4. Then, take your wire brush and dip it into the mixture. Now you can start cleaning and scrubbing the grill with the wire brush. Be careful! As the grill is hot, there will probably be some steam blowing off when you try to clean it with the wire brush. Make sure you stand back while you clean the grill.
5. Scrub with the wire brush until the grease comes off the grill.
6. When you’re done, wait until the grill cools down completely. Now it’s time to dip your cotton cloth into the mixture too, but don’t make it too wet; it should be damp. Then, use the cloth to clean any remaining residue. Let it dry.
This method is a relatively easy method that will only take you about 20 minutes or so. This method works best if you already have a lot of residue and grease built up on your gas grill.
Method# 3: The Everyday Way
The third method is the best method to be used on a daily basis, or every time you use your portable gas grill. It’s a simple method that will get the job done every time you clean the grill. For this, you’ll need the following:
- A grill cleaning set like this, or a wire brush and a cotton cloth
- Some water
- An additional cotton cloth
- Some soap or a dish detergent
|1||Q-Swiper Reusable BBQ Grill Cleaner Set | 1 Q-Swiper Grill Brush and 2 Q-Swiper Reusable Grill...||20 Reviews||$16.99||Check Today's Price on Amazon|
|2||Q-Swiper BBQ Grill Cleaner Set - 1 Grill Brush with Scraper and 25 BBQ Grill Cleaning Wipes |...||896 Reviews||$14.99||Check Today's Price on Amazon|
|3||Q-Swiper BBQ Grill Cleaner Set - 1 Grill Brush with Scraper and 80 BBQ Grill Cleaning Wipes |...||17 Reviews||$29.99||Check Today's Price on Amazon|
Last update on 2021-01-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Here’s the step-by-step guide of how to clean your gas grill with this method. Do this after every use of your gas grill.
1. After you stop using your portable gas grill, make sure it cools down completely before you start cleaning. This takes about 30 minutes or so.
2. Then, take your wire brush from the cleaning set, and start scrubbing the grates. Scrub until the residue comes down completely.
3. Next, you’ll want to wrap a cotton cloth or the wipe from the set around the wire brush. Then, you’ll want to brush up the grate until it’s clean completely.
4. Use a fresh and clean cotton cloth and dip it in some detergent and water. Then, make sure you perform a gentle scrub over the grates again until the grill is clean.
5. Let the grill dry and perform a quick clean up with a clean and dry cloth. Now, your gas grill should be clean.
This is probably the best and easiest method to use on a daily basis. Clean your grill this way every time you use it, and you’ll be sure that your gas grill is completely clean every time you use it.
Additional Tips for Cleaning Your Gas Grill
- Make sure you also clean the exterior of the grill from time to time, and the interior, too.
- You’ll also want to perform a deep cleaning procedure at least once every barbecue season.
- Stay consistent with the cleaning and you’ll increase the longevity of the grill and your food will taste much better!
So, this is how you can clean your portable gas grill easily. We recommend that you clean your gas grill after each use, especially if you use it regularly. If you don’t use it regularly and every once in awhile, then we recommend monthly cleaning or at least once every grilling season. With these three cleaning methods, you’ll be able to perform easy and effective cleaning.