If you’re an off-road sort of person, then you must always be dealing with cars and vehicles getting stuck in the mud, dirt, snow, and out of trouble. Now, many portable winches are made with a different purpose primarily – for water sports and snow, but they can often play a crucial role in pulling your vehicle out of the mud. But a great portable winch will also help you with heavy-duty tasks.
If you are in a hurry and just want to find out what is the Best Portable Winch, then I recommend below As the best ones.
Last update on 2020-10-24 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Table of Contents
How Do You Use a Portable Winch?
Every off-road enthusiast will tell you just how important it is to have a portable winch ready. A good, powerful portable winch will bring you enough power to pull a vehicle or an item out of a hole or if it gets stuck in the mud.
So for those who are constantly on the road and often get in trouble, they should own a portable winch. But for those who have never owned one, you might be wondering how do you actually use it?
It’s actually pretty simple to use it. Here are a few quick steps that will help you on the way.
- Portable winches come in different modes. Some winches will be attached to another vehicle; however, if you’re on your own and you don’t have another vehicle close to you, you can attach the winch to a stationery item, such as a tree. Use the polyester sling that’s included in the package, and attach the winch to a tree or a similar, strong item. If the portable winch connects to a car, then attach it to your bumper and connect it to the car’s batteries.
- Next, you will want to connect the winch to the vehicle or item that’s stuck with rope. Most portable winches come with a wire rope that should be powerful enough, although the length of the rope will vary. If there is not enough rope, then you should add more rope and attach the winch to the vehicle or item that way.
- Then, you can start pulling. Depending on what type of winch you have and how powerful it is, the mechanism of the winch will do its magic and pull your vehicle out of trouble.
How Do I Choose a Portable Winch?
There are many factors that you need to consider when you’re choosing your portable winch. Let’s consider some of them so that you’ll be able to make a decision easier.
- Portability and the versatility of the portable winch are perhaps the most important aspect. Since we’re choosing portable winches, you will want to make sure that the winch is easy to use and not too bulky. Some winches are pretty lightweight, although you might compromise on the power of the winch. You’ll want to find the best compromise between bulkiness and power.
- The weight capacity of the winch is also super important. The weight capacity practically determines how much weight the winch will be able to pull, which is of big importance since it’s likely that you’ll be pulling a vehicle. Electric portable winches can have capacities of up to 10.000lbs, although they might be harder to install and not as easily portable.
- The construction quality and performance also matter a lot. Since you’re likely to be using the winch for longer, you’ll want to have one that will last you for ages.
- Rope length should also be considered since it determines from what distances we’re able to pull our vehicles. Although this might not be as important as other factors, it’s still something to consider.
- Ease of use is also crucial when you use a portable winch. You want one that’s easy to set up and use and one that won’t waste your hours before you get everything started. Some portable winches also come with remote control included, making them easier to use.
- Cost-effectiveness is another factor to consider. How much the winch costs and what are you getting for the money is always important. We’ve chosen the best portable winches for you that will give you the most performance for money here.
What are the Types of Portable Winches?
Here are the most common types of portable winches.
1. Electric portable winches are the most common type of winches. Portable electric winches are, most commonly, powered by a battery that comes with the winch. However, some winches can also be hooked to the car’s battery, although that’s more typical of standard, non-portable winches.
2. Mechanical portable winches will normally receive power from an engine, whether it is an independent engine or the car’s engine. These winches will require you to provide some maintenance to the engine itself, and add gas.
3. Hand-operated mechanical portable winches are quite common, too. This type of winch features a wire rope, normally, that is caught and released through a series of clamps. It’s operated by one person alone.
The 7 Best Portable Winches
So now that you know more about portable winches, you can make a decision easily. Let’s take a look at the 7 best portable winches based on the information we’ve learnt so far.
1. WARN 101575 Handheld Portable Drill Winch
If you’re looking for purely a handheld portable drill winch that will help you on a number of occasions, then this product from WARN should be your pick. The biggest plus of this product is its portability and lightweight usage. You will only need a few minutes to get everything set up, and you will be winching in no time.
The winch comes with synthetic rope that has a capacity of 750lb. That’s less than electric portable winches, true, but you must know that this product is completely portable and doesn’t need any additional gadgets, as it’s handheld. You will power it with a standard, portable drill, which you will need to purchase separately. But if you have one already, then this winch is perfect for you.
To be honest, the 750lb capacity is impressive for a winch that is powered by a drill. But the great news is that this winch is incredibly easy to use, too. You’ll get 40’ of rope (steel or synthetic) that will allow you to perform easy towing on longer distances, too.
- Pulling capacity: 750lbs.
- Rope length: 40’
2. SmittyBilt 97495 XRX GEN2 Winch
If you’re looking for something more heavy-duty that will be able to help you with larger vehicles, then you need this winch from SmittyBilt. This company is known for being one of the best when it comes to winches, and this product is no different. With the 9500lb pulling capacity, it will help you massively with large-scale projects when you’re on the road!
While this winch is not as portable as some other winches on this list, you’ll still be able to use it on a variety of different vehicles. The winch comes with a 6.6HP amphibious motor with a 3-stage planetary gear system.
And the great thing about this winch is that it’s also waterproof (IP67 rating). Installation is pretty straightforward – it will mount on most vehicles onto the bumper, and you’ll get all the wiring and instructions needed for installation.
- Pulling capacity: 9500lbs+
- Rope length: 94’
3. WARN 885000 PullzAll Portable Electric Winch
Here’s another product from WARN that we consider to be one of the best portable electric winches in terms of portability and the performance you get. While it is true that you won’t get a big pulling capacity with this winch, but you will be getting a product that’s extremely lightweight and easy to use, and one that you can use practically anywhere.
It has 1000lbs of pulling capacity. Now that’s quite a lot, especially for a product of this size – maybe for pulling smaller vehicles, even. This winch is considered to be one of the best winches for other chores, such as lifting heavy objects or moving them, for example. You can either opt for a cordless winch or one without a cord. Either way, it will provide 120V.
Using the product is very easy. You can control the motion of the movement, as you can easily switch from forward pulling and reverse motion. The portable winch can become an incredibly valuable tool for anyone who’s working with larger loads and weights constantly, and wants to maximize the work they do.
- Pulling capacity: 1000lbs.
- Rope length: 15’.
4. Keeper KW75122RM-1 Rapid Mount Portable Winch
Here’s another great portable winch for mounting on your off-road vehicle – the Keeper rapid mount portable winch. It offers you an impressive loading capacity of 7500lbs or more, and easy use and rapid mounting with the ability to fit Class III receiver hitches.
The best thing about this product is that it is both portable and also heavy-duty at the same time. the great thing about this winch is that it’s so easy to control from a distance with wireless control. With the 3-stage planetary gear set, this machine will last you for ages, and will help you with heavy-duty tasks.
You can get this product in capacities from 7500lbs to 17.500lbs. Impressive.
- Pulling capacity: 7500lbs – 17.500lbs
- Rope length: 72’.
5. Megaflint Trailer Reversible Electric Winch
If you’re looking for a versatile portable electric winch, then the Megaflint electric winch is the way to go. It is very useful for a variety of tasks – from off-road tasks to marine tasks. You can pull boats, vehicles, and heavy items with this winch.
One thing to remember with this product is that you need to tighten the clutch before you start to use it. You’ll get a much more powerful pulling mechanism then. It will handle loads of up to 6000lbs, and it’s primarily meant for pulling boats, but you can use it for other means, too.
Using the product is simple, as you will receive a remote control, allowing you to control it from a distance.
- Pulling capacity: 2000-6000lbs
- Rope length: 30’.
6. Goldenrod Dutton-Laison SA12015AC Electric Winch
Here’s a very compact but powerful product from Goldenrod – this electric winch will help you with all kinds of tasks that involve weights of up to 2700lbs. That’s an impressive capacity for a product of this size. That’s the capacity for a single line load; for double line operation, this winch has a capacity of 4000lbs.
You’ll also be able to use this product very easily. With the built-in remote control, controlling the winch has never been easier. This winch is meant for a wide variety of uses, and it’s still a very lightweight and portable product you’ll be able to take just about anywhere with you.
The only thing to keep in mind is that the product will require a significant cooldown time after usage.
- Pulling capacity: 2500-4000lbs
- Rope length: 50’.
7. WARN 68801 Electric Winch
Here’s another product from WARN – this electric winch is the perfect solution for those who need a powerful and heavy-duty winch that will be mounted on their car. The most impressive thing about this product is its immense pulling capacity of up to 16.500lbs!
The installation is pretty straightforward, and the rope length is good enough to allow you to winch even in the most complicated terrain types (90’ of rope). You’ll also get a superior control of the winch as you’re pulling, with the superior brake design which will help you with heavy-duty tasks.
- Pulling capacity: 16.500lbs.
- Rope length: 90’.
So there you have it, these are the best portable winches that you can get right now. But we think that the WARN 101575 (Check it on amazon) portable winch is the best for handheld winches, while the SmittyBilt 97495 (Check it on amazon) winch is the best mountable winch you’ll currently find on the market.
The first product is the best handheld winch because it is lightweight and easily portable, and you can get a variety of tasks done with it. While the SmittyBilt is perfect for those who need more power for heavy-duty tasks, too.