Have you been burning the midnight oil lately? Does your job usually require working way past daylight hours or is situated at a location where it’s dark and poorly lit while you are at work? If that is the case, you need a portable lighting solution. Look no further, because we are here to help you choose the best portable work light for your job.
Best Portable Work Light: Summary
- DEWALT (DCL050) 20V MAX LED Work Light
- Hallomall 15W/24LED Portable Work Lights(Yellow)
- Milwaukee 2360-20 M18 Trueview LED Hp Flood Light
- BOSCH 12-Volt Max LED Cordless Work Light FL12, 2 Ah
- Bosch GLI18V-1900N 18V LED Floodlight (Bare Tool), Blue,6 Ah
If You are in a hurry and want to get the best Portable Work Light then I’d recommend the Hallomall 15 W/24 LED Portable Work Light.Table could not be displayed.
Why Do You Need A Work Light?
There are so many jobs where working without a work light is near impossible or, at the least, affects your efficiency at work. Working in poorly lit conditions can make your job riskier, cumbersome and less productive. Not to mention the unnecessary strain it exerts on your eyes and leaves you feeling tired and your head aching. You might end up doing just an hour’s work in two or even more, if you are able to work at all.
There are many jobs or scenarios where a work light would really come in handy.
If you are a workman, a technician, a mechanic, or a construction worker, your job will most likely require carrying a work light around. This is because you may have to work in dark nooks or inside machine rooms where it is not safe to work in dim light.
- A mechanic who works with cars or a machine operator who works with machines and big industrial equipment would need a work light to handle parts where overhead light does not reach properly.
- As a construction worker, if you have to work into the night, you will need a portable work light because there is no proper source of lighting at construction sites, especially after dusk.
- If you do the electrical or mechanical installation and repair work, and if your job especially requires visiting other people’s homes, offices, or fixing things outdoors, you will frequently have to work at night time and in dark sites. A portable work light will be your constant companion.
- If you often work in your garage or workshop at home, and it does not have a proper lighting fixture like the inside of the house, you’ll need a work light.
Also, overhead and ambient light simply isn’t enough in some cases. Imagine fixing your car in the garage without a work light- you won’t see anything down there!
- You may even be considering keeping a work light in your room at home or in your office if you tend to work late into the night when others have called it a day.
- If you are a photographer or do any sort of work which involves filming in a studio, a work light is a cheap alternative that can work as good as studio lights with a few tricks. Spending $50 on a work light instead of an expensive $900 studio strobe is an attractive solution!
- When you go out for recreational activities like camping or fishing, a portable work light will come in handy.
This list is not exhaustive of course- there can be many other possible uses for a portable work light!
What Features Does a Work Light Must Have?
There are different kinds of work lights available in the market. Each has different features you should look out for, keeping in mind your application.
Some of the features you will look at while choosing are:
- Maximum light output or brightness. Depending on the area you want to illuminate, you will need to consider whether you want to buy a work light with low or high power.
- Adjustability. You may like to work with different brightness settings at different times; in that case, make sure the work light has multiple settings you can switch between.
- Size and portability. How much will you have to move around? If you are planning to install one in your garage, you can get a bigger one which can still be shifted around occasionally. However, if your job requires touring and working outdoors, then you will need to get a lighter one that is easy to carry.
- Power source. It can be battery powered (cordless) or corded (or both). If you will always have a power outlet near you when you work, you can go for a corded one but otherwise, a rechargeable battery-powered device is better.
- Flexibility and range of motion. Some work lights are more maneuverable- they can rotate, swivel or bend so you can adjust their position exactly as you need.
- Hand held, pivoted, or wall-mounted. This again depends on what kind of job you do. You may need a hand held device (which will weigh less than the other options), or a pivoted one that can stand steadily on the ground or a table, or a wall-mounted one that you can fix or hang higher up for overhead lighting.
- Battery life. Do you have to work in remote locations, without a power supply, for long durations? In that case you must get a work light with a very long battery life.
- Water and impact resistant. This is important if you work outdoors. Your work light should be able to withstand some blows and contact with water, especially if you have a rough job.
- Price. Last but not least, it must be affordable!
The 5 Best Portable Work Light: A Buyer’s Guide
Now that you know what features to look for, we provide a review of some of the best portable work lights we found in the market.
1. DEWALT (DCL050) 20V MAX LED Work Light, Handheld, Tool only
If you’re a touring technician looking for a hand-held work light that could easily be hung on your belt, this one is for you. The DEWALT (DL050) has a set of 3 LEDs to provide maximum illumination at dark work sites. Users have found the brightness to be very good and it is great for professional technicians.
The brightness is adjustable. There are 2 brightness settings of 250 and 500 lumens, providing flexibility to choose between higher power or longer runtime. (At low power setting, the battery will last you much longer)
It is rotatable and the head has a 140 degrees range of motion, allowing for more freedom in how you wish to light your work area.
It is hand-held, so you can carry it around conveniently if you move around a lot. It also has a 360 degree rotating hook from which you can hang it. It is also good to hang on a belt-hook, convenient for workmen.
It weighs 0.9 pounds which is quite light. It is made to be easily held by hand, but some users still do find it a bit bulky for comfort.
The body is quite durable and scratch resistant for rough job sites. The lens cover is thick and over molded so it does not crack easily.
The battery and charger are purchased separately, which is a downside, and the price stands at $53.79.
- Max brightness: 500 lumens, good for focused use
- Brightness adjustable; 2 modes
- Quite flexible; rotates 140 degrees
- Hand-held, with hook for hanging
- Durable and impact-resistant
- Not too pricey
- Not bright enough for wide-area industrial use
- Battery and charger have to be bought separately
- Not so stable for floor-mounting
2. Hallomall 15W/24LED Portable Work Lights (Yellow)
If you are looking for something a bit more powerful and with more features, this is a good candidate. It has 24, 15W LED lights to provide very high brightness. It is great not just for work but also for outdoor camping. It has 3 modes of brightness: high, low, and strobe. An additional feature is 2 blue and 2 red flashing lights that can be used for signaling during any accident or emergency.
It has a built-in, rechargeable, lithium ion battery.
A cool feature is 2 USB ports to charge other mobile devices on the road if you need to. Moreover, The Hallomall 15W/24LED is floor-mounted, with a very stable base stand. It also has a handle for hanging anywhere above the ground.
The weight is 2.05 pounds. Not to be continuously hand-held, but is light enough to be carried around.
It is rotatable. The light can rotate a full 360 degrees, which is very flexible! One of the best features this one offers is that it is water-proof! This makes it great for outdoor usage.
This time the packaging includes a wall charger and not just that but a USB cable too! And here’s the best part: it costs only $27.79!
- Very bright, good for outdoors
- Adjustable brightness; 3 modes
- Battery built in and rechargeable
- Extra features like flashing lights and usb ports
- Very stable base; can be hung too
- Rotatable through 360 degrees!
- Easy to carry
- Water proof!
- Packaging includes charger and USB cable
- Price is the lowest!
- A bit bulky to be hand-held
3. Milwaukee 2360-20 M18 Trueview LED Hp Flood Light
Here’s one for wide-area industrial use. It is a floodlight so it is very powerful, in fact, 20% brighter than 500W halogen floodlights. Milwaukee M18 is designed for illuminating very large work sites and provides extremely high power. It has 3 brightness settings: Low (650 lumens), Medium (1500 lumens), and High (3000 lumens).
It has two power options, which makes it very convenient and versatile. It can be powered by an M-18 battery or with an electric cord. With a battery, it can run for up to 9 hours, and all day with the AC cord.
The head can rotate through 240 degrees, with exact stops in between. It is floor-mounted, with a large, sturdy base, but also has 3 holes for hanging above the ground.
It weighs 6.25 pounds and is not as easy to move around, but it is good for use when relocation is not needed often.
The design is very durable and claims to be impact-resistant for the toughest jobs too. However, the price for more power is a bit high, i.e. $129.00
- Powerful floodlight (3000 lumens); for industrial use
- Adjustable brightness; 3 settings
- Dual power source
- Very flexible (240 degrees)
- Stable base, with 3 holes for hanging
- Impact resistant
- Quite heavy, not to be carried around
- Price is quite high
4. BOSCH 12-Volt Max LED Cordless Work Light FL12, 2 Ah
Here is another contender for hand-held work lights. It has 10, high-intensity LED lights for the best illumination and two modes of brightness: normal mode and a dim mode.
The BOSCH FL12 is rotatable through 200 degrees and can be stood on a surface, but also has multiple other options including 2 strong magnets, a carabiner clip, a nail hook, and is tripod compatible too!
It has 2 battery options. With a 2Ah battery, it can run for 6 hours straight, while a 4Ah battery can last 12 hours. It can last twice as long if you use it in dim mode.
Its weight is its winning point, because it the lightest among all, i.e. 0.7 pounds. Being lightweight makes it very easy to carry around and hold. The housing is quite durable too. Most importantly, it costs a reasonable $49.00.
- Good illumination for focused work
- Adjustable brightness; 2 modes
- Flexible; rotates 200 degrees
- Can stand; has additional magnets, clip, hook, and tripod compatibility
- Extremely lightweight; hand-held
- Reasonable cost
- Brightness not best for large area use
- Batteries need to be replaced
5. Bosch GLI18V-1900N 18V LED Floodlight (Bare Tool), Blue,6 Ah
The last on our favorite list, but certainly not the least. It is also a floodlight, so brightness is very high. The BOSCH GLI18V uses a single, very high power LED that provides 1900 lumens of brightness. This is again suitable for industrial use and for illuminating very large workspaces.
It has a dual brightness setting- 1900 lumens and 1000 lumens. (The battery lasts longer at lower brightness setting).
It is also a bit flexible- the head can move through 120 degrees, with 5 working angles. This allows the user to adjust the angle at the position which works best for their use.
The handle allows it to be hung, and it also has a thread mount for tripod compatibility. It can run with any Bosch 18V lithium ion battery and can last 10 hours straight.
It weighs 3.5 pounds, so it is lightweight enough to be carried around but not to be continuously hand-held.
The price is lower than the previous floodlight: $99.00; however, this comes at a cost of lesser brightness.
- Floodlight (1900 lumens max); good for industrial use
- Adjustable brightness; 2 modes
- Flexibility of 120 degrees
- Handle plus tripod compatibility
- Good battery life
- Half the weight of the Milwaukee floodlight
- Price lower than Milwaukee
- Price is a bit high
- Brightness is less compared to Milwaukee
- Batteries need to be replaced
What I’d Recommend as the Best Portable Work Light
While all of the 5 products described above have their own pros and cons and are more suited to different applications, the Hallomall 15 W/24 LED Portable Work Light undoubtedly offers the best features and quality at the most affordable price.
It costs the lowest of the lot, which is super-affordable! It offers the most versatility of all the options (3 modes of brightness and a full 360-degree range of motion); it is also water-proof, which is a must-have feature if you intend to use the work light outdoors. This work light can be taken outdoors for activities like fishing and camping. There would be nothing to worry about, even in rainy weather.
You need not pay anything extra for the battery, like some of the other devices, because the battery is built-in. Even the charger is included in the packaging. This is great for remote usage, and at the same time, you do not have to worry about having to replace the battery after some time because it is rechargeable!
The weight is also suitable for carrying. Although the hand-held lights are lighter, this offers much more functionality with just 1 extra pound of body weight. Also, compared to the other floor-mounted work lights, it is the lightest of them all!
Although the Hallomall portable work light stands out as the best all-rounder, you should definitely check out all of these products before deciding. If you need a work light that you intend to use in a particular situation, then the other options may suit you better.
For example, in an industrial setting, the Bosch floodlight offers very high power and good features for the price. While for a hand-held work light, the Bosch cordless work light is the lightest option. Choose wisely!