If you’re someone who’s constantly on the road – whether it’s camping, bike riding, RV adventuring, or other ways of travel – then you know the importance of having good showering facilities. It gives you refreshment after a long day and allows you to remove all the sweat, dirt, sea salt, or dust from your body.
Why Do You Need a Portable Shower?
A portable shower offers you the convenience of having a shower anywhere you might be, even if there are no other showering facilities nearby. If you’re staying in a camp, there is likely to be a shower and a toilet in that camp.
However, not every time will you find yourself in a camp, especially if you travel to remote areas where there are no major settlements nearby.
That’s when a portable shower can come handy. You will need to have some water available, though. But most campers make sure that they take some water with them in advance. So when you need a quick refreshment on the road, you can take your portable shower out and get cooled down quickly.
In addition, if you take kids or animals with you (dogs especially), then you know just how much dirt they can create when you are traveling. And you don’t want them to bring that dirt in your car, RV, or tent, so you will need a portable shower in that case.
In other cases, a portable shower simply allows you to take a quick shower before you hit the road again, especially if you expect to be on the road for at least a few hours before you settle down at a campsite.
What are the 5 Different Ways to Make a Portable Shower?
There is no escaping the fact that there are some things you will need in order to make a portable shower. These are the three easiest ways to make a portable shower:
- With a portable shower bag
- Foot pump portable shower
- Battery-powered portable shower
- With a garden sprayer
- With a propane shower pump.
Each one comes with its own pros and cons – some are easier to assemble and provide an easy way to have a shower, while others are slightly more complex or even more expensive, but they are also more satisfactory to use.
We’ll take a look at each way in more detail. You will learn the following:
- What you will need for each option
- How to make and use a portable shower
- What are the pros and cons of each option
With that in mind, let’s get started.
Option# 1: With a Portable Shower Bag
Now, this is arguably the simplest and easiest way to make a portable shower quickly. For this portable shower, you will need the following:
- A portable shower bag like this – we like this portable shower as it’s inexpensive, easy to use, and has an impressive capacity of 2.5 gallons.
- Somewhere to hang the portable shower bag – the higher the better.
This option is certainly a popular one with hikers, campers, and travelers. That’s because it’s low-tech and it doesn’t require you to install the shower for hours. It’s also super portable, so you can simply take it with you if you hike, as you can grab it and take it in your hands.
Or, you can simply pack it in your luggage, as it doesn’t take up much space. And when you need it, you can fill it up with some water and simply start using it. It’s pressurized by gravity, so the higher you can hang this shower bag, the more powerful the water stream will be. You can use a branch to hang it, or another elevated space.It’s cost-effective, easy to use, and very simple. It gets the job done.
No products found.
Pros of using Portable Shower Bag:
- Very simple and easy to use
- You don’t need any electricity
- You can carry it anywhere with you
- You can warm it up in the sun.
Cons of using Portable Shower Bag:
- You’ll need an overhead space to hang it
- Compared to other showers, it has a poor water stream
- It doesn’t hold as much water as other options.
Option# 2: Foot Pump Portable Shower
This option is arguably even simpler to use than the shower bag. If you’re looking for an easy way to take a shower when on the go, then a foot pump portable shower is a great option to go with.
You will need the following for this option:
You can set this shower up very easily. With the portable shower with a foot pump, you’ll get plenty of portability, as these come assembled and packed in a very small package. When it’s folded, you can pack it up in your luggage and take it with you anywhere you go.
To use it, you need to unfold it and fill it with some water. As you do that, the shower will not start working. It is powered by the pressure you create when you pump the shower with your foot. So in order to start using the shower, you will need to pump it just enough so that it starts working. But don’t pump it too much or else it might blow!
It needs constant pumping in order to get enough pressure, and you will also need to refill it with water constantly.
No products found.
- Very easy to use.
- Portable and foldable.
- No electricity needed.
- Can warm it in the sun.
- Good water stream.
- You will need to pump it constantly.
- Might leak some air.
Option# 3: Battery Powered Portable Shower
Battery powered portable showers are getting more and more popular, and it’s easy to see why. They are very easy to use, provide a good flow of water, and they don’t need any electricity to be used.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- A battery-powered portable shower
- A bucket or tank of water
- USB charging for charging the shower
To use this shower, you will need to create a bucket of water where you will submerge the pump of this shower. The way this shower works is that it has a battery-powered pump which will pump the water into the shower. And once the battery runs out, you can charge it up easily with USB charging.
All you need to do is to submerge the pump of the shower into a bucket of water and start showering. You will need to keep an eye on your battery life – you can easily charge it via USB charging, though.
No products found.
- Very convenient to use.
- USB charging.
- Decent water stream.
- The battery needs charging.
- Not as powerful as some other options.
- You’ll need an external water tank.
Options# 4: With a Garden Sprayer
This option requires some DIY skills and perseverance from your part. However, when you think about it, it’s an incredibly simple option that will allow you to use your shower almost anywhere you go.
Here’s what you’ll need to create a shower like this:
- Garden sprayer – the most important thing here is to use a new one and not one that’s already been used to spray chemicals.
- Garden hose nozzle
- Small hose clamp
- Garden hose barbed adapter – you can get the last two items from your local DIY store. Or, you can get them on Amazon (small hose clamp). It’s better to buy them in your local store to make sure they fit the garden hose nozzle, especially the adapter.
Assembly is very easy for this sprayer. Here are the steps to follow.
- Remove the spraying adapter on the sprayer that was in place when you bought the sprayer.
- Then, screw the barbed hose adapter onto your garden hose nozzle and add the clamp.
- Put the nozzle onto the sprayer with the adapter heading onto the sprayer first.
- Tighten the hose clamp completely.
This is all you need for assembly. To start using the shower, pump the sprayer and start showering – it’s a simple way to shower but a very effective one.
- Powerful water stream.
- Will last you an eternity.
- Quality build.
- Allows for better showers.
- Requires some assembly.
- The equipment can be costlier.
No products found.
Here’s a more detailed guide showing you how to make a portable shower like this.
Option# 5: With a Propane Shower Pump
Now, this option is arguably the most powerful option on the list, but it’s also the most expensive. If you’re truly looking for the best possible shower on the go, consider buying a propane-powered portable shower.
It is slightly more expensive, and it does need propane to run. However, this is the best showering option as it allows you to have better showers.
- Most powerful showers.
- Easy to use.
- More expensive.
No products found.
Having a portable shower when you’re camping or traveling is always a great thing to have. You will be able to cool down after a long and hectic day on the road, or if you’re someone who’s hiking or cycling, then a portable shower can come handy.
In this article, we have shown you the five best ways to create a portable shower – each one comes with their own pros and cons, so take your pick and assemble your portable shower now!